I Just Want To Build
can we get a serious yes or no here about texture lag? - Printable Version

+- I Just Want To Build (https://forum.ijwtb.net)
+-- Forum: Sandbox (IJWTB) (https://forum.ijwtb.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=142)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://forum.ijwtb.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: can we get a serious yes or no here about texture lag? (/showthread.php?tid=14006)

can we get a serious yes or no here about texture lag? - Jumping Spiders Are Cute - 12-13-2017

many times a few select people have complained and bitched at me about me using textures from games they do not have, namely css and hl2 ep 1 and 2. 

when a person is spawns something using textures from a game they do not have, it makes all others who do not have the game, lag for several seconds, no matter how many props are using the texture. 

i understand why this pisses people off, it pisses me off when people do it to me, but i dont bitch and moan if i can avoid it. which is easy in most cases. move to a different spot or try not to go outside of the map. 

a few minutes ago, dartwaffle set a voteban on me after a few big arguements regarding my use of an hl2 ep 2 rocket texture, and this pushed me to try to get a serious yes or no from staff. 

i want to know if i can continue using textures from css, and the hl2 episodes. 

id also like to know if i am allowed to express my prop limit.

RE: can we get a serious yes or no here about texture lag? - Dartwaffle - 12-13-2017

Alrighty so first off, a full minute isn't "a few seconds." Second, it's whenever that part of the map is being rendered. Say I'm going around a track, and a per of the map doesn't render until I go around that part of the track, I froze for a full minute each time. Also, LITERALLY everyone but you was complaining about it.

RE: can we get a serious yes or no here about texture lag? - TIMMEH - 12-13-2017

My philosophy on game design is thus:

If a game let's you do something any fallout from that is the game's fault not yours. GIVEN gmod servers arent coded by game devs who do it for a living so there's some leeway for that, but the coders for IJWTB are very good and dismounting game content should be the simplest thing for them, if it's a problem it's their's not Spiders. If he's not supposed to use textures from other games then IJWTB has more than enough know how to unmount game content.

Concerning Lag: Everyone's computer is different, everyone's threshold for lag is different. Trying to appease everyone's potato of a computer leaves a shit server. I concede I don't know what Spider spawned whether it really was over the top or not and I concede Spider has been known to spawn big contraptions before, but I also concede plenty of players on the server are over-sensitive and dramatic and generally lack a great amount of self-awareness to comprehend just exactly what it is they imply by certain things they try and enforce.

Concerning prop amount: Same as textures, if too many props is a problem, it's IJWTB's problem, not Spiders. They allow him to use that many props, it's his right. He's using his prop limit constructively for building not for minging or purposely creating any negative reaction from anyone. 

personal notes: I've never noticed lag from textures I don't have and I don't know why I would, it's just a string in the code that reverts to the default texture of purple and black squares, a texture that is pretty low-res. If others experience lag from that it's probably a setting in their game somewhere that's messed something up.

RE: can we get a serious yes or no here about texture lag? - TIMMEH - 12-13-2017

tried editting my post but the forums bugged out and just reposted the same thing as a qoute, ignore this dumb post, am too downy and dont know how2delete