I Just Want To Build
New I.J.W.T.B. error model - Printable Version

+- I Just Want To Build (https://forum.ijwtb.net)
+-- Forum: Sandbox (IJWTB) (https://forum.ijwtb.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=142)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://forum.ijwtb.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: New I.J.W.T.B. error model (/showthread.php?tid=14927)

New I.J.W.T.B. error model - PumpKindOf - 05-07-2020

NO

Its bad.

Bring back the OG.

[Image: Cringe.jpg?dl=1]

RE: New I.J.W.T.B. error model - [IJWTB] Thomas - 05-07-2020

It's meant to show you the exact bounds of the model, rather than a worthless one-size-fits-all ERROR that makes it impossible to see what the stuff actually is.
Why exactly do you want the old model?

RE: New I.J.W.T.B. error model - Awmax - 05-07-2020

New model wasn't implemented purely for aesthetics. Just because it looks bad doesn't mean it IS bad. Old error model didn't tell you anything besides the fact that you don't have the addon or game - New model allows you to know whats going on.

P.S nice cringe pic moron it makes you look like a fool

RE: New I.J.W.T.B. error model - PumpKindOf - 05-07-2020

Awmax i posted the cringe pic as a joke because i'm a haha funni guy.

What would make the new model not "look bad" to you?

Anyway this thread wasn't really meant to be taken seriously i just wanted to vent my disapproval of the new error lol.
Oh wait shit, well if you kept the old error and just made it have a border around it. And the error would do the same things as you want the new one to do.

One moment, i'm trying to draw a mock up but my tablet is fucking up...

Here you go, sorry for the messy handwriting. Basically have a 3D error within a 3D box with a transparent texture. (Is this too much for the source engine?)

[Image: mockup.jpg?dl=1]

This addon uses a 1x1x1 size (normalized) model so that it can correctly scale itself up or down to the size of the real prop.

The "Missing Model" text you see on it is a texture that gets applied to it and scales with it. If the original entity had a user-changed color or texture, the replacement error model also uses them (including opacity).

The difference between what it is and what you want is the words "ERROR" instead of "Missing Model" and for it to be completely transparent.
Technically the latter part is easy - there could be a convar to let it use the original prop's opacity, full 100% opacity, or 0% opacity (what you want).
Changing what the texture says is a little different because I'd have to remake the texture (it's not mine) and I've never done that.

Hmmm...
Damn, this is a lot more complicated then I thought. Way out of my source expertise, I guess ill have to deal with the grey blandy bois...

But thanks for taking it into consideration at least!

I'll see if I can make it default to a red color and 0% opacity. If you still hate it at that point, I can add a convar to disable the replacement.

Okay.